In new developments coming from Tripura, the BJP has swept the three-tier panchayat polls in the state. The BJP won 638, Congress 158, CPI (M) 22 and the Indigenous People’s Front of Tripura (IPFT) six seats while independent candidates were successful on 9 seats according to the results announced on Thursday. These polls were conducted only on 15% of the total seats, the remaining 85% of the seats have already been won by the ruling BJP unopposed.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulated and thanked the people of Tripura for this massive electoral victory in the state and tweeted, “Tripura’s faith in @BJP4India remains unwavering! I thank the people of the state for blessing the party in the Panchayat Elections across the state. The transformative work in Tripura’s rural areas is positively impacting many lives. Kudos to the local unit for the hardwork!”
“I would urge @BJP4India Karyakartas from other states to interact with Karyakartas from Tripura. The Party’s repeated successes in the state demonstrate the power of development politics and democratic temperament. It also shows that with the right effort, everything is possible,” Modi wrote.
I would urge @BJP4India Karyakartas from other states to interact with Karyakartas from Tripura. The Party’s repeated successes in the state demonstrate the power of development politics and democratic temperament. It also shows that with the right effort, everything is possible.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) August 2, 2019
PM Modi also quoted Tripura CM Biplab Deb’s tweet which pointed out towards BJP’s meteoric rise in the state. Biplab Deb’s tweet read “The figures says it all •In Zilla Parishad Out of total 116 seats in 8 districts #BJP has won 114 •In Panchayat Samiti out of total 419 seats in 35 blocks #BJP has won 411 •In Gram Panchayats out of total 6111 seats in 591 Panchayats #BJP has won 5916 #BJPVictory”
Tripura which had reeled under Communist rule for decades, in the 2018 assembly elections rejected the regressive rule of the CPI(M) and brought BJP to power with a comfortable majority with the BJP led alliance winning 43 of the Tripura’s 60 seats after the party had even failed to open an account in 2013 assembly elections. What followed was the freeing various domains of the state’s governance from Communist influence which had been unconstitutionally and systematically imposed over the past decades.
Education System in Tripura was also painted in red by communist proxies; while the students in Tripura learned about the Russian and French revolutions and Hitler, there were no chapters or even mention of Subhas Chandra Bose or Rani Laxmi Bai. The students read about the theories of Marx and struggle of Europe but were barred from learning about Indian kings and Indian struggle. Chapters on Indian freedom fighters were also willfully excluded to provide space for birth of cricket in England. Even chapters on Indian constitution were missing from the syllabus. This nefarious attempt to alienate young Indians from their history by giving a false perception about the cultural and historical heritage is nothing but preposterous. The curriculum also failed to highlight Tripura and its history. Later Tripura CM Biplab Deb had taken a decision to implement NCERT syllabus, which was seen as a first step to counter this subversion has been taken.
In addition to all the reforms, these recent electoral victories for the ruling BJP in the state are only an indication of citizens’ support for these reforms and many more. The initiatives taken by Chief Minister Biplab Deb’s government have surely further solidified the saffron party’s support in the state. The fact that BJP has been on an electoral victory streak in the state of Tripura makes it clearly evident.