In a bold, groundbreaking move, PM Modi led Union Cabinet has approved the reservation in jobs and seats in higher education for the economically backward people from the upper caste category. This new category of reservation, which extends to 10% of all seats, doesn’t alter the current ambit of 50%, thereby extending the total reservation to 60%.
This is a bold move that has not only given a new ray of hope to the much oppressed general category but has also shocked the entire opposition and Lutyens’ media, giving them no chance to strike back at all. The opposition is now in a Catch 22 situation, where any reaction from their side will only benefit the incumbent BJP in the runup to the 2019 elections. This is one major reason why nobody from the opposition has actively opposed this move, even though this move has hit their interests hard.
However, this hasn’t refrained the notorious Lutyens’ brigade from going hysterical on this bold move. Almost always found criticizing any move that is even remotely benefiting India in the long run, this select group of left-liberal intellectuals have begun bashing the BJP, terming it a digression from ‘real issues’ and ‘election propaganda’.
Leading the pack was notorious journalist Barkha Dutt, who had the audacity to label the proposal as unconstitutional, even though this has not even been subjected to the parliamentary discussions. Following is her tweet on the same:-
In other words BJP wants 'upper' caste reservation (fear of backlash to restoring original SC /St act). But two points – going above 50 % quotas is unconstitutional & will be struck down by court. Two, where are the govt jobs? https://t.co/Xj98HJI8pD
— barkha dutt (@BDUTT) January 7, 2019
If this wasn’t enough, she was followed up by the usual suspects, who lambasted this move. Seems like that ‘The Wire’ has quite a lot to lose with this move, which is why almost the entire top brass was united as one in criticizing this move, as follows:-
If the government had serious intent of giving reservation to upper caste, it would have tried to push this on the first day of parliament. Not when the session is ending.
— Rohini Singh (@rohini_sgh) January 7, 2019
10 % reservation quota for upper caste announced by govt is aimed at consolidating upper caste in UP and Bihar in Lok sabha polls. But people by now realize issue is too complicated with 50% ceiling on quota as per past SC directive.
— M K Venu (@mkvenu1) January 7, 2019
Bogus proposal from govt desperate to be seen as doing something for millions of youth looking for work. First, there are no jobs. Second, Modi would rather the unemployed fight among themselves for crumbs rather than target him for failing to deliver. https://t.co/usMAKUe5DE
— Siddharth (@svaradarajan) January 7, 2019
Interestingly, M K Venu looks extremely worried with this move, as according to him, this can potentially affect the election results in UP and Bihar. His fears are not completely unfounded, since BSP supremo Mayawati, despite having no presence in either Lok Sabha or Rajya Sabha, has declared her open support to this proposal. This does not spell well for the Mahagathbandhan.
In this hysteria, how could the duo of Sagarika Ghose and Swati Chaturvedi remain left behind? Sagarika called the move economically non-feasible, while Swati, known more for her abusive dismissals, termed it as a failure, as reflective in the following tweets:-
When there is a dearth of jobs and opportunities, what’s the rationale of endless quotas? Where’s wealth creation? Expansion of economy?
— Sagarika Ghose (@sagarikaghose) January 7, 2019
While Shah & Modi consider the #Reservations salvo a “master stroke” the lack of implementation will make it another #Jumla
— Swati Chaturvedi (@bainjal) January 7, 2019
Even Shekhar Gupta, the notorious journalist and current head of The Print couldn’t refrain from dismissing this move as election propaganda, as he posted the following tweet:-
Modi Govt’s offer of reservation for upper castes in the closing days of its last parliament session is a cynical and desperate ploy at its own version of vote-bank politics. It also shows that BJP leadership is more nervous about the elections than we would’ve thought
— Shekhar Gupta (@ShekharGupta) January 7, 2019
Other journalists like Nidhi Razdan, Rana Ayyub and Rajdeep Sardesai refused to say anything directly on the issue, either posting cryptic tweets or retweeting others’ opinions. This clearly indicates the panic among the Lutyens’ brigade that has set in after the announcement of this reservation move.
Already on the backfoot after the misfiring of their tirade against ‘Uri’ or ‘The Accidental Prime Minister’, the liberals are now on the verge of going senile. Imagine their conditions if the ordinance for Ram Mandir is passed successfully and The Tashkent Files hits the theatres. The game has just begun.
Leave a Reply