The world is finally awakening to how the World Health Organisation colluded with the Chinese Communist Party to blind the world over the impending disaster. It seems that Dr Tedros and the WHO are all set to pay for their sins as US President Donald Trump has started an offensive against the “China centric” WHO and effectively put a hold on American funding to the USA.
US President Donald Trump in his daily White House news conference said, “We’re going to put a hold on money spent to the WHO. We’re going to put a very powerful hold on it and we’re going to see. It’s a great thing if it works. But when they call every shot wrong, that’s no good.” Trump was in no mood to let the WHO off the hook as the organisation had earlier berated him for restricting travel from China as early as January 31. He added, “We pay for a majority or the biggest portion of their money. They actually criticized and disagreed with my travel ban at the time I did it. They were wrong. They’ve been wrong about a lot of things. They had a lot of information early and they didn’t want to — they’re very — they seem to be very China centric.”
The W.H.O. really blew it. For some reason, funded largely by the United States, yet very China centric. We will be giving that a good look. Fortunately I rejected their advice on keeping our borders open to China early on. Why did they give us such a faulty recommendation?
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 7, 2020
Trump then moved to announce a hold on the American funding of the WHO which will likely cripple the organisation as he accused the WHO of wilfully hiding the threat posed by the pandemic. Trump charged, “But we want to look into it, World Health Organization, because they called it wrong. They (WHO) called it wrong. They missed the call. They could’ve called it months earlier. They would have known and they should have known and they probably did know. So, we’ll be looking into that very carefully, and we’re going to put a hold on money spent to the WHO.”
Toed China's coverup line, said there's no human-to-human transmission. Criticized early travel bans on China.USA, India went ahead with it but most of EU listened to WHO.Became an epicenter. Trump calling out WHO's shortcomings is big.pic.twitter.com/nsSdv4lTOM
— Shubhangi Tiwari (@shubh19822) April 8, 2020
Trump’s statement that “They (WHO) would have known and they should have known and they probably did know” can spell trouble for Dr Tedros and the WHO as he accuses the organisation of blinding the world by colluding with the Chinese Communist Party.
In the past few weeks, we at tfipost.com have been exposing WHO’s shortcomings and blowing the whistle on Dr Tedros. In January, the WHO shockingly refused to acknowledge the human to human transmission of the Wuhan virus despite several warnings from Chinese whistleblowers and Taiwan and instead castigated countries like the USA and India who started restricting flights to and fro from China.
Two months later in March, the WHO finally declared the Wuhan virus as a pandemic, four months after the virus originated in Wuhan’s wet market. By then it was too little, too late.
The events that unfolded in January reveals the role WHO played in aiding the spread of the virus. The WHO on January 14 took to Twitter to claim that there is no clear evidence of human to human transmission of the novel coronavirus — a stand endorsed by the Xi Jinping government at that time.
This effectively gave the validation that the Chinese government was waiting for as it prepared for the Lunar New Year celebrations on January 25. The Lunar New Year celebrations result in the world’s largest annual migration taking place. Mass-scale travels took place in China after which Coronavirus has been spread to nearly every part of the country and also Hong Kong where Chinese patients were being taken to receive free and better healthcare until the Hong Kong leadership was pressurised to close the border.
At this exact juncture, the Wuhan virus spread its deadly wings across the globe as the Chinese new year celebrations supercharged the virus. The Wuhan Mayor admitted on January 26th, that over 5 million people left Wuhan before the travel ban, thus spreading the virus. According to an estimate, the Chinese tourists were expected to make 450 million trips this year all of which were scheduled to take place during the period of 24th-30th January, on the occasion of Lunar New Year.
The mass-scale travel took place thanks to the WHO’s decision on January 11 to not recommend any specific health measures for travellers to and from Wuhan. Shockingly, the WHO further claimed that there was no need of any screening as it offers little benefit and required deployment of considerable resources.
The WHO, in March, came out with a 40-page report on how well the Chinese government has tackled the Wuhan virus. While the Communist government has imposed a lockdown on Wuhan, the WHO report meekly mentions the lockdown as “strict traffic restrictions” and “the cordon sanitaire”. The report lauds China’s epidemic response measures — but conveniently ignores the late-December / early-January dates that might implicate the party’s initial mismanagement of the crisis.
If there was any doubts on the neutrality of the report, a line in the report reads that: “In the face of a previously unknown virus, China has rolled out perhaps the most ambitious, agile and aggressive disease containment effort in history.”
The WHO’s director general Dr Tedros is also an executive member of an Ethiopian party which is listed as a perpetrator in the Global Terrorism Database. Hence, it comes as no surprise that Tedros attempted to appoint the barbarian and the then-dictator of Zimbabwe, Robert Mugabe as WHO’s goodwill ambassador.
Now, you may wonder how China managed to turn the WHO chief into its puppet, and why most international organizations do not speak about all the millions of problems that exist with the Communist regime of China. The answer is simple. China has injected millions of dollars and infiltrated top-tier positions in nearly every international body and it is not afraid to use them to its favour every now and then. The United States of America under President Donald Trump has let go of the wheel of major international organizations by cutting funding and participation in these institutions (Read; UN, WHO, FAO). As a result, there has been a major power vacuum and China has grabbed this opportunity with both hands.
The Chinese government, the second-largest contributor (10.8%) to the UN budget, has been considering the question of how to send more Chinese to work in the UN system. China has been continuously revamping its human resource deployment to organizations like the UN.
Another example of a UN body going China’s way is UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). In 2011, the United States cut off $80 million in annual funding to UNESCO—about 22 per cent of its entire budget. China raced to fill the void, pledging millions of dollars in extra-budgetary support for education programs. Beijing has increased its monetary contributions to the United Nations fivefold in the past decade thereby cementing its position to control any narrative that it thinks suits its stance.
Again, the UN’s severe underfunding problem coupled with the US withdrawal from UNHRC has helped China to take the front seat of another important UN body. China has gone as far as suggesting the phrase “human rights defender” to be removed from the UN lexicon.
While the USA has finally decided to act against the WHO, Japan who’s Olympic dream lies in tatters is also angry about it with the entire European Union has started to smell the falafel. The Japanese Deputy PM Taro Aso has even gone on to say that the World Health Organisation might have to change its name to “Chinese Health Organisation”, during a speech in Japanese Parliament on Thursday wherein he lent support to a petition terming Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus unfit for the role of the WHO chief.
The WHO’s treatment of Taiwan is unbecoming of an international organisation and in hindsight, had the WHO heeded to Taiwan’s desperate warning, the world would have been a much better place right now.
But the WHO ignored the warning perhaps because China claims Taiwan to be a part of its territory while in reality, the Chinese Communist Party rules only the Mainland China. Paying heed to Taiwan’s warnings would have meant the WHO recognising the global status of Taiwan something which Xi Jinping wouldn’t have liked. Hence, the desperate warnings of Taiwan and Dr Wenliang were paid no heed by the WHO.
To put things into perspective, Taiwan was the first country to act against the threat of the Wuhan virus as around 60,000 flights carrying 10 million passengers travel between Taiwan and China every year. However, the WHO decided to play Beijing’s political games as it excluded the country from the emergency meetings of the WHO on how to tackle the Wuhan virus.
Since 2016, Taiwan hasn’t been allowed to participate at the annual World Health Assembly and WHO technical and experts’ meetings — which is a sign of the sway that China has over the WHO.
Much to the glee of Xi Jinping, the WHO continues to address Taiwan as “Chinese Taipei” and all the cases of the Wuhan virus released by the Taiwanese authorities are shockingly placed under China despite the fact that the Xi Jinping government has no jurisdiction over Taiwan.
It is important to note that, Taiwan has been ranked as no.1 for two consecutive years in the Health Care Index and the nation’s participation in the WHO meetings would have certainly helped the world.
What’s more appalling is the fact that on February 28, the WHO listed Taiwan as “very high risk” at a time when the country had only 34 confirmed cases of the Wuhan virus. This had a devastating impact on Taiwan as countries like Italy, Philippines and Vietnam restricted the flights to and fro from Taiwan and also the entry of Taiwanese nationals.
In what reveals the extent of Chinese intrusion and influence in the WHO, Bruce Aylward who is the assistant director-general of the WHO when asked about by a RTHK journalist if the WHO would reconsider Taiwan’s membership, initially pretended that he hasn’t heard the question. When the journalist again attempted to ask the question but Aylward was quick to dismiss it and asked her to move to the next question. But the journalist didn’t budge and again sought to ask about Taiwan, Aylward abruptly ended the video interview.
The journalist then proceeded to call him again and asked Aylward about his thoughts on how Taiwan has done to combat the virus. Shockingly, Aylward forgot his position at the WHO and started behaving as a spokesperson for the Chinese Communist Party and exclaimed, “ Well, we have already talked about China and you know, when you look across all the different areas of China, they have all done quite a good job.”
Recently, Taiwan Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Joanne Ou claimed that ever since the start of the coronavirus outbreak, the country has shared the information about its cases and prevention methods with the WHO, however the organisation never included in the WHO’s daily updated situation report. “Therefore, the health bodies of various countries cannot understand the current situation of Taiwan’s epidemic situation, preventive policies and border quarantine measures from the information provided by the WHO,” Ou said.
The Taiwanese government also slammed the WHO as it was kept out of the organisation during the outbreak which it claimed amounts to playing politics with Taiwanese lives. The country has earned admirers by successfully controlling the virus keeping the toll low thanks to its early detection and control methods.
Earlier in March, India called for “institutional strengthening of the WHO” in its bioweapons convention statement — which in these times needs to be read in the context of the media discussions about WHO and the criticism of Dr Tedros.
The screws are turning on Dr Tedros and the WHO, and they shouldn’t be allowed to go scot free. The likes of Dr Tedros and Dr Aylward must be tried as war criminals.